On December 12, 2018 MaREI Director Brian Ó Gallachóir presented to the Oireachtas Committee on MaREI’s research findings on climate action relating to medium term, long term and community energy.
Key Policy Insights Included:
- We have introduced some successful measures but not enough
- Ireland’s gap to target for mandatory 2030 target is approx. 100 Mt CO2
- Early and sustained climate action is essential and requires political leadership
- Energy transition = efficiency, bioenergy, renewable electricity andCCS.
- Don’t forget 28% of households experiencing energy poverty
- More community development approaches needed in community energy
Here you will find Brian’s Opening Statement to the Oireachtas Committee
Watch the presentation on Oireachtas TV from 23 minutes here