- Contribute to the development of concepts of hydrogen storage by using floating foundations and necessary improvements.
- Develop coupled models and analysis of floating foundations storing hydrogen under operating wind turbine, electrolysers and environmental loads.
- Optimise generation and storage components of hybrid floating wind and hydrogen storage system
- Contribute to the project communication and dissemination activities
Post Duration: 12 months
Key Duties And Responsibilities
The primary focus of the Postdoctoral Researcher will be research however a particular emphasis during this stage should include;
- To conduct a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator/Project Leader.
- To engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, School or College in order to develop research skills and competencies.
- To gain experience in grant writing.
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research in which they are engaged, as directed by, with the support of and under the supervision of a Principal Investigator.
- To become familiar with the publication process.
- To acquire generic and transferable skills (including project management, business skills and postgraduate mentoring/supervision).
- To engage in the wider research and scholarly activities of the research group, School or College.
- To interact closely with postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and possibly have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with an academic supervisor.
- To carry out administrative work to support the programme of research.
- To carry out additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- To contribute to costing research grant proposals and assist in the financial management of a research project.
The successful candidate will be expected to have:
- Ph.D graduate in Civil , Structural , Offshore, Mechanical or Naval Engineering
- Knowledge and research experience in offshore engineering, floating wind, computational mechanics, optimisation and good analytical, mathematic and communication skills, and high-quality publications.
- Appropriate technical competence and accomplishment.
- A capability of working within a project team to achieve results.
- Good communication, organisation and interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to gaining practical experience working on a research project.
- Ability to work well within a team
MaREI is a key research centre within UCC’s Environmental Research Institute (ERI), which is an internationally recognised Institute for environmental research dedicated to the understanding and protection of our natural environment and to developing innovative technologies, tools and services to facilitate a transformation to a zero carbon and resource efficient society. The MaREI Centre is an SFI funded research centre headquartered in the ERI and includes 13 other Universities and Third Level Institutes from across Ireland, has 50 industrial partners and has accumulated research funding of approximately €60m. It combines the expertise of a wide range of research groups and industry partners, with the shared mission of solving the main scientific, technical and socio-economic challenges across the climate, energy and marine spaces. MaREI is also funded by SEAI, EI, EPA, ERDF, EU, HEA, Marine Institute, DCCAE and IRC, as well as through contributions from our industry partners. Researchers in the MaREI Centre have over 30 years of experience in conducting fundamental and applied research supported by competitively won national and international funding, and commercial contracts with government agencies and industry. MaREI’s strengths lie in the multi-disciplinary nature of its research teams, allowing it to combine insights across areas such as MRE Technologies, Materials & Structures, Observations & Operations, Coastal & Marine Systems, Bioenergy, Energy Policy & Modelling and Renewable Energy Management.