Applications are invited to apply for the position of Research Fellow in the MaREI Centre at the Environmental Research Institute to undertake engaged research on energy transition and climate action projects. The successful candidate will join a trans-disciplinary team of researchers in MaREI to deliver an innovative programme of research exploring public engagement in societal transitions. The candidate should have relevant experience in participatory action research and research on innovative engagement practices and deliberative processes in energy transitions and climate action initiatives, and experience in research and initiatives which empower citizens and enable community-led action by leveraging participatory innovations.
Project Title: Engaged Research on Public Engagement in Societal Transitions
Post Duration: 36 months
Salary: €56,933 – €62,037 p.a. (IUA Salary Scale)
Candidates should apply, in confidence, before 12 noon (Irish Local Time) on Thursday, 14 April 2022.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage and conduct a specific programme of research and scholarship in the following areas;
- Public engagement and deliberative engagement processes in societal transitions,
- Mapping of actors, roles, and agency in energy transitions and co-production of new pathways to energy citizenship,
- Empowering citizens and enabling community-led action by leveraging participatory innovations,
- Evaluation frameworks for engagement initiatives in energy transition and climate action,
- Analyses of selected UCC sustainability initiatives.
- To independently identify research objectives and potential funding sources and to prepare and write bids for funding proposals.
- To have a strong track record in securing external funding, including own salary.
- To disseminate the outcomes of the research, including peer-reviewed academic publications of international standing.
- To take a leading role in the further development of the research programme and in seeking and pursuing appropriate external funding.
- To participate fully in the wider research and scholarly activities of the Research Centre, School and College.
- To have some teaching and mentoring duties.
- To supervise post-graduate research students as supervisor or co-supervisor, as appropriate.
- To mentor and assist students and early-stage researchers in the research group, School and College.
- To take responsibility for, manage and conduct administrative and management tasks associated with the research programme.
- To engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, School or College.
- To carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- A relevant PhD qualification and significant experience in transdisciplinary or engaged research on societal transitions involving multiple actors.
- The capacity to work independently on multiple research projects.
- The ability to assess and evaluate concepts/theories in order to develop original solutions and particular knowledge of, and expertise in research methodologies, in particular relating to participatory action research, innovative engagement practices and deliberative processes in energy transitions and climate action initiatives.
- Track record of high quality peer reviewed publications in particular on citizen engagement in societal transitions
- Experience in post graduate and Post-Doctoral supervision.
- Strong project management experience including monitoring of project deliverables, timelines and budget.
- Experience in liaising with industry and external stakeholders, including citizens and community-based organisations.
- Ability to provide leadership to small research teams.
- Ability to secure independent external research funding.
- Ability to contribute to broader organisational and management processes.
- Ability to generate reports and visualizations to communicate findings to a wide audience.
Informal enquiries can be made in confidence to Aoife Deane, Communications and Public Engagement Manager, MaREI Centre, ERI, Tel: + 353 086 8906731; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be submitted online via the University College Cork vacancy portal (https://ore.ucc.ie/). Queries relating to the online application process should be referred to ei.ccu@tnemtiurcer, quoting the job-title and project name.