Energy Systems Modelling

What might  a future Irish or even global energy system look like?

How will we heat our homes, fuel our cars, generate electricity and use of our land in the future? How much will this cost? What technological opportunities deliver best value for emissions reduction?

With our research, we approach these questions by using integrated energy systems models which considers all of our energy use within the wider economy.

This ‘big picture’ approach is important as it allows us to consider the best use of all available resources including low carbon technologies, efficiency measure and renewables.

Today in Ireland,  electricity represents 20% of energy consumed while heat and transport capture the remaining 80% of energy.

We focus on 100% of the problem and try and find solutions that will enable Ireland to become a world leader in decarbonized energy systems


Addressing the challenges of Climate change means decarbonising the world economies.

For this to happen effectively an integrated approach to energy system planning needs to be taken.

By looking at all energy interactions together (Heat, Transport, Electricity, Land Use)  together we can form a coherent picture of what a decarbonized world could look like.

We are always looking for innovative, creative research ideas and researchers. We use software’s like TIMES, LEAP, PLEXOS and are interested to hear from you if you have experiences in this area

For further information, please contact 

Core Research Areas Include

  •  Integrated Energy Systems Modelling at National and Global level
  • Integrated Gas, Electricity, Water modelling at EU Level

Core Skills include: Integrated Energy Modelling, System integration. Gas, Electricity and Water interactions. EU modelling, Global Modelling

Current Projects

  • Integrated Systems – Paul Deane
  • Energy Security and Economy – James Glynn
  • EU Power System – Sean Collins
  • EU Electricity and Gas – Maitiú Ciaran
  • Energy and Economy – Gargiulo Maurizio
  • Energy Policy Scenarios – Emma Hanley
  • Modelling future coupled electricity markets with high levels of variable renewables – Fiac Gaffney
  • Energy Systems Modelling – Chiodi Alessandro
  • Addressing Policy Uncertainty – Steve Pye

Our PLEXOS EU Gas and Electricity model can be downloaded here

For more information about these project, please contact the appropriate researcher using the contact details from below.



Exploring 2 dimensions of a shift to renewable based energy systems; to what extent will systems be electrified & what are optimal levels of decentralisation?

UCC's Environmental Research Institute engages with climate change NGOs on future energy modelling scenarios

Non-governmental organisations visit UCC's ERI recently for a stakeholder engagement event on climate change

Carbon tax and Budget 2017

Professor Brian Ó Gallachóir examines how the Government could demonstrate a commitment to climate action and have more money to spend on budget day.

Different Perspectives on the Energy Transition

The Environmental Research Institute hosted a joint seminar with the University of FH Burgenland, Austria on Friday, November 4th on Different Perspectives on the Energy Transition.

UCC research finalists 2016 SEAI awards

MaREI team from UCC finalists at this years SEAI Energy awards...

MaREI Phd student wins Eirgrid Sustainable Energy Prize

MaREI PhD student Xiufeng Yue has been named UCC’s top Masters graduate in Sustainable Energy by EirGrid...

International Energy Conference in Ireland Walks the Walk on Climate Action

The first week of June in 2016 bore witness to the 35th annual International Energy Workshop (IEW) hosted in Ireland’s own University College Cork.

NTR Foundation and MaREI to Collaborate on Low-Carbon Opportunities (April 5th, 2016)

MaREI has secured €750,000 in philanthropic funding from the NTR Foundation to facilitate research on opportunities presented by transitioning to a low-carbon economy.

Beaufort Building to Officially Open (July 3rd, 2015)

MaREI’s new headquarters at University College Cork’s (UCC) Beaufort Building in Ringaskiddy, Co. Cork, will officially open on the 11th July 2015...