A Track Record of Excellence
MaREI’s Marine Governance team has been actively researching sustainable coastal and marine development for over a decade. Whilst research initially focused on coastal management, it has gradually expanded to cover the broader coastal and marine governance research agenda in line with policy changes at national and European levels. Members of the Group are currently engaged in innovative research in a range of fields including:
- application of the ecosystem approach to fisheries and marine management;
- use of scenario science and visualisation technology and techniques to plan for changes in the coastal zone;
- mechanisms for improved participatory governance nationally, and in a transboundary context;
- integrated marine management;
- Maritime Spatial Planning;
- adaptation to Climate Change;
- mechanisms to facilitate increased cross-sectoral solutions and economic activity, and trans-sectoral pollination of technologies and knowledge.
This track record has enabled the MaREI Governance team to bid for and incorporate the Headquarters of the Future Earth Coast Initiative into our pool of experience and capacities. This global network of coastal scientists and stakeholders are focused on strengthening the science-policy interface and contribute to securing sustainable coastal futures in the new epoch called the Anthropocene.